diversity and inclusionenabling human progress
Chevron is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is a cornerstone of our corporate values of high performance, integrity, trust, partnership, and protecting people and the environment. We know that hiring and retaining individuals with an array of talents, ideas and experiences propels the innovation that drives our success. A diverse workforce and inclusive culture help us strengthen areas that need improvement and inspire creative solutions. We believe the attention given to diversity and inclusion makes us more agile, trustworthy and innovative.
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Chevron’s diversity and inclusion programs aim to foster a truly inclusive workplace that encourages more meaningful engagement among all employees to strengthen our performance.
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives have earned recognition from several leading diversity organizations and publications.
chevron and catalyst
In 2015, Chevron was honored to receive the prestigious Catalyst Award, the premier honor for companies committed to expanding opportunities for women. For more information about the award, visit a3s255.site/2015-catalyst-award.
In 2016, Chevron’s Women’s Network launched the Men Advocating Real Change (MARC) initiative developed by Catalyst, a nonprofit that provides resources to engage men as more active and visible champions for gender inclusion. Participants in MARC are committed to achieving workplace gender equality by improving opportunities for women to compete for roles at all levels. Research by Catalyst shows that when men are actively involved in gender diversity, 96 percent of companies report progress. When they are not, 30 percent show progress. MARC programming helps both men and women break down unconscious bias and other barriers to inclusion. In its third year, MARC exceeds 2,600 participants – 60 percent of which are men – in 10 locations around the world.
In 2019, Chevron announced a $5 million grant to Catalyst in support of expanding the organization’s MARC program. The Chevron grant will directly support the global expansion of MARC leaders, Catalyst’s immersive training program. It will also support the rollout of MARC teams to Catalyst Supporter companies across the globe, creating a grassroots collective approach that helps men apply their influence to affect positive change in the workplace with respect to gender equality. For more information about Chevron’s grant to support MARC, visit a3s255.site/chevron-marc-grant.
a number of firsts
We’re proud of being the first major integrated energy company to:
- offer domestic partner benefits to employees.
- fully implement trans-inclusive health care benefits.
- include sexual orientation in its nondiscriminatory policies.
- achieve a perfect score for 14 years in a row in the Human Rights Campaign ranking of U.S. companies committed to LGBT equality in the workplace.
we are all accountable
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Reinforcing the critical importance of diversity and inclusion to business performance, The Chevron Way holds everyone accountable in advancing diversity at all levels of the company. Diversity Action Plans are required for nearly every employee, including the Chairman, and are part of annual performance reviews. Diversity and inclusion accountability metrics are tied to compensation for the corporate executive management team.
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Chevron has more than 15 diversity councils across its business units that help management align diversity and inclusion efforts with business strategies.
the chevron way: engineering opportunities for women
what we’re doing
Diversity and inclusion are cornerstones of The Chevron Way values and are critical to ongoing business success. An inclusive work environment that values the diversity of our employees’ talents, experiences and ideas, leads to more innovation and ultimately higher performance. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
Partnering is critical to our success in attracting talent – we partner with governments, communities and educational organizations across the entire educational pathway. We build trusting and mutually beneficial relationships with strategic partners and are most successful when our partners succeed with us.
university partnerships and programs
We have forged strategic relationships with more than 100 colleges and universities around the world – developing programs that will empower students and help us to enable human progress.
- Our relationships and programs with historically black colleges and universities are designed to encourage minority participation in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
- Over the past few years, we have worked with our university partners to help them improve their diversity and inclusion efforts. Since 2015, engineering deans from more than 200 universities have signed a pledge and committed resources to improving opportunities for women and underrepresented minorities, the retention of students, and the inclusivity of the environment at their universities. We work with them to develop programs to address diversity and inclusion issues, and we partner with the American Society of Engineering Education to convene groups to leverage our efforts.
- We have helped develop a number of programs focused on improving diversity with 4-year institutions and community colleges – STEM Pathway Programs
• Chevron | Texas A&M University Engineering Academies
• Chevron | University of California Davis Community College Program – and
• University of Colorado at Boulder Gold Shirt Program
• Chevron | University of Illinois Community College Pathway
- We have awarded more than 300 scholarships through universities
association partnerships and programs
- We also partner with diversity associations such as the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the American Indian Science and Engineering Society, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Great Minds in STEM, Society of Women Engineers, INROADS, and the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering to develop programs that will help provide opportunities for students.
- Chevron’s Diversity Scholarship Program disburses $750,000 in scholarships annually through seven partner organizations. In 2017, 121 scholarships were awarded to students, 55 percent of whom were female and 88 percent of whom were diverse.
- We currently have a pilot program underway with the National Association of Engineering Program Associates and Purdue Women in Engineering to improve math proficiency in African-American communities.
- We support the camps in Houston, Texas; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Oakland, California. The mission of SEEK is "To increase elementary school students' aptitude in math and science and their interest in pursuing STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) career fields, by having them engage in interactive, team-based engineering projects."
other partnerships and programs
To help improve opportunities in STEM education for young girls, we convened sessions with the National Science Foundation, NBC Learn, and more than 15 professional and diversity associations to develop the Women in Engineering Educational Outreach and Training curriculum to arm teachers with materials on engineering that will help expand the pipeline of talent.
We have an incredibly talented workforce willing to share its knowledge in our various mentorship programs. All employees have the option to find a mentor on their own or with the help of a supervisor, through programs specific to their business unit. Our employee networks also offer formal mentoring programs.
employee resource groups
天堂mv手机在线mv观看In 2017, more than 19,000 employees – nearly 40 percent of our regular workforce – participated in Chevron’s employee networks that celebrate and promote diversity. These networks act as a resource for attracting and retaining talent and enhance Chevron’s reputation through community activities and outreach. They also provide formal mentoring programs and offer opportunities for skill building and career development.
diversity action plans
Aligning with our diversity goals, employees define measurable objectives they will be accountable for – and graded on – as a part of our annual performance evaluations. These plans can be tied to compensation and help achieve our vision of diversity.
supplier diversity program
In 2017, we spent more than $600 million on goods and services from woman- and minority-owned businesses in the United States. We spent more than $1.6 billion on goods and services from U.S.-based small businesses.
天堂mv手机在线mv观看To help ensure that our employees understand our policies and know how inclusion is practiced throughout our company, we provide opportunities such as diversity training, guidance on personal diversity action plans and lunchtime diversity learning sessions.
To promote diversity and inclusion, we host more than 15 diversity councils across our business units and corporate functions that actively support our strategic approach to diversity.
employee network groups: open to all employees
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Our employee networks bring essential value to the business. In 2018, more than 19,000 employees — more than 40 percent of our regular workforce — participated in our employee networks.
PRIDE (LGBT employees and allies)
XYZ (early- and mid-career employees)
Australian Indigenous (Boola Moort)
Boomer (baby boomer employees)
ENABLED (employees with disabilities)
values in action: adriana
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Adriana, who works in information management, talks about the importance of diversity and inclusion within the company and how it affected her decision to work at Chevron.
keeping our employees engaged
To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy.
workforce training and development
天堂mv手机在线mv观看As part of our Invest in People strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees. In 2018, our eligible employees completed these performance discussions and set annual developmental objectives.
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Skill development occurs at each stage of our employees’ careers. For example, all new employees are expected to participate in the onboarding learning journey – including the New to Chevron workshop – within their first six months on the job. In 2017, 90 percent of new hires met this goal.
Our Horizons program is an accelerated development program that builds the technical competency of employees who have fewer than six years of industry experience. More than 2,100 employees were active in Horizons in 2017.
天堂mv手机在线mv观看Chevron strives to communicate openly with our more than 44,000 employees. In addition to our annual Worldwide Employee Town Hall, business units around the globe conduct town hall forums and meetings, addressing topics such as safety and business performance, as well as engaging with employees on a wide variety of other topics.
Every three years, we conduct a survey of our employees worldwide to understand their level of engagement, assess Chevron against the attributes of a high-performance organization, and measure the impact of our people development programs. This survey is supplemented by Pulse Surveys of our employees, which measure our progress and reinforce Chevron’s high-performance behaviors. Our most recent employee survey found a total employee engagement score of 90 percent – among the best in the oil and gas industry. In addition, 94 percent of employees surveyed reported that they “believe strongly in the goals and objectives of Chevron” and 93 percent reported being “proud to be a part of Chevron.”